Sunday, October 26, 2008

second hand heaven

When I was going to college, I used to scan the Friday newspapers and set up a route of the garage sales I wanted to hit. When I moved to Portland, I was shopping at the retro-stores at least weekly. Then, when I got a job at a thrift store, my wardrobe started to really expand. Now that I do the clothing donations, it's hard for me to actually purchase clothes. However, I could drop a lot of money at my new place for today (and actually leave with a lot of stuff).

Today, I went to the House of Vintage on Hawthorne. My housemates wanted to go to a nearby shop for a Halloween costume and the HOV had clothes out front so I went to check it out. Then I stepped inside and went through one room and another and another and another... The place just keeps on going! And they don't have all of their men's clothes together and all of their furniture together. Each room is like a cool garage sale of it's own. It was more enticing that way to keep wandering. I saw some clothes there with a mark from the thrift store I work at. The HOV only had the item marked up one dollar. The stuff there was relatively cheap, especially for Hawthorne. If there was one store I'd love to locked in at, it's this place.

No comments: