Tuesday, May 10, 2011

take this burger as a token of my appreciation

Seven years ago, I took the job as supervisor for the clients that work in the stores at our Powell location.  It was supposed to be a temporary job because I was just the backup.  The primary supervisor for the clients had a big conflict with the store manager and asked for a transfer to another store.  By default, I ended up in charge.  At the time, the store manager wanted me to eventually move to become an assistant manager so she told me not to become too attached to the position but I really became attached to the clients and loved working with them.  In that interim time, they gave me one new guy at the store, referred to as "L."  I didn't have a lot of experience yet so I didn't know what the hell to do.  This was L's first time working in a store so he didn't know what to do either.  It took a little time but eventually we got it figured out and I decided to tell my boss that I wanted the position.  After some time, I got to be a case manager and still work with the Powell store clients.

Today was L's anniversary of beginning with the company.  Recently, we had some more hours open up at a smaller location which would mean more independence for L.  He's come a long way in seven years and I know he could make it in a more independent job. However, it would also mean that he would have to move to a different site, meet new people and be a bit further away from his house.  Ultimately, L decided to stay. I was glad because he would have had a different case manager at that site and I wouldn't get to work with him.

Since he chose to stay working with me and not transfer, I decided to take him out for a meal to celebrate his anniversary.  He chose Burgerville so we went there today.  I haven't take a client out to lunch to celebrate an anniversary before but it was nice.  We've worked together for a long time and each made a good amount of progress.  It's good to sit back and reflect on that.

What else?
I also rode my bike down the I-205 bike path again to my other site in Clackamas.  It felt so good to have the time and the cooperation from the weather to do this again. Before I headed to Powell, I swung by Seven Corners and bought my first Pannier bag to attach to my bike rack.  I plan to bike a lot this summer for work stuff so I wanted to get myself set up proper and it worked.  The bag may be a little small but it's my first one.  I can work my way up to the larger size.

No comments: