Friday, October 23, 2009

i love ani!



When I worked at Hastings Book, Music and Video, we had promo CD's were sent to us all of the time.  I was a good employee so I would often get recognized in meetings and rewarded with my choice of promo CD's.  By chance, one day I took Ani DiFranco's Little Plastic Castles and I fell in love.

My first concert here in Portland was Ani during a Halloween show.  It was fabulous.  Two of my co-workers today decided this morning that they were going to go see Ani so I decided to go too.  It was a reward for all of the stress I've been going through with school and work lately and, hell, I haven't seen her in concert in almost seven years so it was about time.

Anais Mitchell opened up for Ani and she was great.  Ani had three band members with her which I thought would compromise her act but it only added to it.  See, I love Ani's acoustic work.  I pretty much stopped listening to her so much when she added more instrumentation to her act.  Tonight, there was a drummer, a keyboardist/cello player and a xylophonist/bongo drum player.  They were all great but the xylophonist really blew me away with an amazing solo.  I think I'll have to get back into my Ani phase.

No comments: