Friday, October 2, 2009

claiming my seat

I'm a nice guy but I also know how to get what I want.  Today, I wanted a better seat on the airplane.

The flight from Omaha to Denver is hardly ever full of people unless it's on a small plane.  Today, it was a larger jet and I was one of the last people on board.  When I got on, I saw that several rows in front of my assigned row were empty.  This included the exit row.  Meanwhile, my row had a couple sitting in the first two seats and I would've had to ask them to get up so I could get to my window seat.  Instead, I just sat down wherever I pleased.

I took a nice exit row seat and didn't make eye contact with the stewardesses.  I just pretended like I belonged there.  Other people came up from the back and asked them if they could sit in the empty seats.  The stewardess told them that everyone had to sit in their assigned seats.  Then she proceeded to run through the "Are you prepared to help in the event of an emergency?" drill with me.  See, that's what you get for asking someone for what you want instead of just taking it, as long as it doesn't already belong to someone else.  I'm still a nice guy, I'm just a little more determined.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I asked for a window seat before boarding my last plane, and got put on a waiting list. I then ended up with a window seat in the exit row, and no one next to me. Pretty sweet! Sometimes it does pay to ask, but I am glad you took it!