Wednesday, August 5, 2015

the first step

I admit it; I have a problem. Some time shortly after I got this tablet, I started downloading video games. It started with Tetris which I just played here and there when I was bored but it was never really alluring to me. Then I got Injustice: Gods Among Us. It's a fighting game with DC Comics heroes & villains. Nightwing pictured above was my favorite guy initially. I was able to keep it under control for a bit. Then they started luring me in with tournaments for new characters. Then I began playing online & vying for a higher position which would yield greater rewards. At first I tried to hide it from Andrew cuz I was embarrassed. Then my need to play overcame any shame & I was unstoppable. It infiltrated my dreams & I started taking longer lunch breaks at work just so I could increase my score & rank.

Today was the end of an online season which generally lasts for six days. This last season which just ended had the reward of the Batgirl character. I already had her but I wanted to make my character stronger so I spent WAY too much time over the last six days playing. I was in the top 3% & was supposed to have some sweet rewards coming my way but they never showed up. And I see this as a sign; It's time to stop.

I have always known that I have a video game addiction. I've gone thru periods in my teens and early twenties where I would stop for a bit but I would always go back. In 2003, I sold my PlayStation and it was liberating. I was so proud of myself. Lately, I've been really feeling that I was a slave to the game & wanted to stop but seriously lacked the willpower. This game glitch was divine intervention. Praise the goddesses.

My new thing was writing a review for the game online in which I reached new nerd depths & complained about not getting my Batgirls. After that was when I realized I had to stop. And just to solidify my resolve, I already filled the space it was taking on my tablet...with the show iZombie & a collection of Deadpool comics cuz I'm still a dork but I'm a dork minus an addiction.

No comments: