Thursday, August 27, 2015

coming out as a pot-smoker

Last holiday season, Dan Savage talked about how holidays are typically time for people to come out to their families. They can come out as gay, bi, poly, or even as a pot-smoker. I didn't come out over the holidays but I did take it as a cue that this should happen sooner than later, especially since it's legal here in Oregon now. I am a pot-smoker.

I've been a casual smoker for a while. It's so much better than alcohol. There's no bloating, no hangover, no messiness. It's just a happy high. In the past, I've had some issues with paranoia but since it's been legal, you can get the strain you want with the effects that you want and none of them include paranoia.

A while ago, my mom was told that she was going to have to have her thyroid removed because it was pre-cancerous. Just recently, the US acknowledged that cannabinoids are good for cancer and cancer treatment so I called my mom yesterday and offered to get her some. She declined but then I took the opportunity to let her know that I smoke occasionally. She had questions but didn't seem alarmed which was good.

Really, it feels good just to be honest. I've been smoking off and on for a while now and I've always just avoided saying it. Now, I don't have to worry or make up stories or say I was drinking when I was really smoking. And I can be honest here. Yay for the truth!

In order to set the scene for coming clean, I went to Laurelhurst Park in the dog area and sat down for a bit to enjoy a new cider, which was my new thing.
 

No comments: