Wednesday, August 19, 2015

diy rack fix

When I have a bike problem, the first thing I do is mentally review Seven Corners Cycles schedule to see if I can get my bike in. Yesterday, when I was biking home, my bike started to make this awful rattling noise but Seven Corners recently changed their hours and they are now closed on Tuesdays. I looked it over a few times and figured out that the bolt at the bottom of the right side of the rack had fallen out so the rack was rubbing against the chain. I managed to tuck the rack in, sling the pannier over my shoulder and make it home.

However, rather than take it in for one screw, I simply stopped at the hardware store today and bought a replacement screw. After I fixed it, I saw that top screw on the left side was missing as well. This was slightly different screw but there are a number of unused screws in the frame (for putting a rack on the front of the bike or an extra cup holder in) so I used one of those and fixed it. It's a simple simple new thing but I am so happy that I did it on my own.

And again, it serves as a perfect example of why a bike is so much more preferable than a car. With a car, if it makes a funny noise, I turn the stereo up. I would have almost no way to diagnose it on my own, let alone fix it. Yay bikes!

No comments: