Tuesday, August 4, 2015

fostering community

I don't know any of the people pictured in the photo above, nor do I know the band that's playing and this is very close to my backyard. Today was the Foster-Powell (FoPo) day at Kern park. Ava and I hit Kern Park probably once per day as it is the closest place to our house. However, I don't really feel that these people are my community.

I think there are communities within the larger community that I can identify with. There are the regular patrons of my local coffee shop with whom I feel a kinship. There are of course the local dog owners and especially those who go to Kern regularly with whom I am very familiar (but it should be noted that I do not know the humans' names, only the dogs'). And then there are my direct neighbors. I know two sets of them now (since two others have recently left).

I wanted to go to this event today with Andrew and Ava because I want to be more familiar with my nearby community but I just don't feel that I'm there yet. I have only been here for less than a year tho so maybe I just need to give it more time.

What else?
On Sunday, I was too tired from the exercise the day before and the lack of sleep from the night before so I just bummed around the house. My new thing was buying and trying a cinnamon bun from New Deal.

On Monday, a customer and I interviewed some new people and I got to meet her at her boyfriend's apartment. It made me realize what a community my customers have because it was the same apartment complex that another of my customers lives in. I don't think they know each other but maybe they should. However this physician needs to heal thyself first before I go and start The Neighborly Connection.

No comments: