Sunday, December 4, 2011

tabor trip

 
I finished my last school assignment early and turned it in yesterday so today, I took a long walk.

I love walking. I think that is part of the reason that I'm somewhat depressed about Dean being injured is that I lost my walking buddy and my motivation to get out to a park. Hiking up to Tabor was something that I really valued this summer, mainly because I got to do it with him. However, today, I really just needed to get out and walk. He wasn't up to it and Sophia was going to hang around the house with him so I went tripping around Tabor on my own.

Honestly, I still loved it. I had twinges of regret and second-thoughts as I got started, feeling like I was betraying him. I thought about the class I just took on Old and Frail adults and thought it was hypocritical of me to learn about how we should value older adults and here I am, enjoying an afternoon without my dog. But then I thought about how maybe I should reframe our time together. As he gets older, I need to just value little walks around the block with him and chilling out with him in the house while I read a book or watch some Breaking Bad.

Comforted by the idea that I wasn't abandoning him, I proceeded to enjoy the serenity of walking just to walk. It was a beautiful day and, when I got above the #6 reservoir, I heard a guy practicing his trumpet through an otherwise tranquil early afternoon. I walked up to the top of Tabor and then back down through the dog park (which I realized I had never been to before) and then over to Rain or Shine for a mimosa.

When I got back home, I got Dean in the car and headed back to the dog park. He found a Doberman Pincher named Duke to play with. However, Duke then started to rough play with a shaggy black dog. He lightly bit the dog on the ear, like puppies do when they play. Then he brought the shaggy dog to the ground and put his mouth over the dog's throat. I was a bit concerned but then I lost focus when I saw Dean run behind Duke and start air-humping. Inappropriate, although funny. That's my dog. It was a fun ending to a fabulously chill day.
What else?
I saw the above sticker on a fence post leading up to a stairway...

No comments: