Friday, December 30, 2011

dj tophurious

After J256, Sophia, Martin, Tim and I went to brunch at Delta Cafe. At the Delta, Sophia was reading an article in the Mercury which used the term, "tofurious" to describe an angry vegetarian. I fell in love with the word and applied it to my nickname to come up with my DJ name: DJ Tophurious.

Tonight, we had Victory's birthday party. The theme was Budget Recessionista. Basically, she wanted everyone to dress nice but to feel comfortable coming with thrift store dress clothes if necessary. I had been asked to DJ the party and I have been practicing for over a week now, just prepping my tunes. I had mentioned it to Andrew before Christmas but I remembered yesterday that I had been meaning to invite him even though he's never really met my friends. I was surprised but pleased that he said he'd love to go. Ack, pressure!

I don't know why I have avoided introducing him to the others. I suppose I would go back to Willow logic, from Buffy, Season 4. I just want to keep him as mine. However, I did want him there and he wanted to come so I brought him and it ended up being great. He's very charming and intelligent so I shouldn't be surprised that it went so well. I think what I was really nervous was my friends (and co-workers even) cluing him into a little more about me and he might not like something that he hears. I don't know what because I'm tactlessly upfront with him about almost everything but I was still worried. My worries turned out to be unfounded. He was very impressed by my friends and I think they reflected very well on me.

And DJ'ing went exceptionally well. People were fabulous about dancing. Once I figured out that everyone pretty much wanted to dance to pop, I had it down. I hit a especially magical stride at 128 beats per minute when I played my new favorite song, Hello. Having a wonderful party with my fabulous friends and co-workers meeting my guy, DJing an awesome set and getting much kudos for it, and having it on the Friday before a three-day weekend made for an almost perfect night.

Leave it up to me to screw that up by myself later.

No comments: