Tuesday, December 27, 2011

hanukkah 2011

When I was leaving for Nebraska the other day, my neighbor saw me and asked me if I was going to do anything to celebrate Hanukkah. I was a bit surprised because I didn't think that they were Jewish but I just told her I was going back to Nebraska for the holidays. Then she again said that I should have a happy Hanukkah. I'm pretty sure that she thinks I'm Jewish. I couldn't figure out why until Ashes reminded me that we have a menorah in the window of the house. Yeah, I guess that's logical then.

I liked the idea that someone was presuming I was Jewish rather than just assuming I'm Christian. I don't consider myself either but many people will say, 'Merry Christmas,' which actually does presume Christianity. I don't generally get offended but I'll counter by saying I hope they have a good solstice which typically throws them off.

Tonight, Bastard, Ashes, Victory, Lyra and I played drunken dreidel as we typically annually do. So I did indeed have a happy Hanukkah.

What else?
My new thing today was having the beet salad at the Red and Black cafe. I gained a few pounds while over the holidays so I'm going to lean more towards salad for the next few weeks.

I also gave positive reinforcement to a client for not repeating a pattern of bad behavior that he has had in the past. He was given the opportunity to exhibit this behavior in front of his supervisor but said that it wasn't appropriate and chose not to do so. The supervisor is relatively new to working with him in her direct supervisory role so she was more concerned with how he was given the opportunity. I chose to celebrate his proper decision not to engage in said behavior and made certain to tell him I appreciated him making the right decision. He acted like it was no big deal but then he took off his work glove and made a point of shaking my hand which he has never done. It was a small gesture but I told several of my co-workers about it because it was a gesture of appreciation which is a huge move for this guy to make. He was basically giving me positive reinforcement for my positive reinforcement. It made my whole workday worthwhile.

No comments: