Friday, December 9, 2011

getting the monkey off my back

Months ago, when Occupy Portland started, I ended up talking to my friend Kim about my work situation. Basically, it went something like this: They unjustly fired my friend at my work but I can't quit because they're paying for my school and I'm only half-way through the program. I've tried to move past it and focus on the little bits of pleasure that my job gives me. I do love working with the clients but it's hard when I'm working within the confines of an agency with which I don't agree. I've tried applying for other jobs but I'm not pursuing it as hard as I should so I just sit back and begrudge my job for keeping me.

Last weekend, I found out that a store manager transferred one of the supervisors who work with the clients I manage. I was pissed for her because it was really unfair. She was at the store for seven years and has been doing client supervising for more than ten years. This manager was at the store for two weeks and decided that this long-time supervisor had an attitude problem and needed to be transferred. Argh, it makes me so mad.

At work today, we had our staff holiday party. I made some cinnamon raisin granola cookies (for the first time) and I also did a training on Motivational Interviewing for the first time. Still, we were all expecting to get to leave work a little early as we generally do on in-service day. When that didn't happen, we declared that we needed a happy hour. We ended up at the Gold Dust Meridian where I had their Death In the Afternoon for the first time (pictured above) as well as their homemade potato chips which were awesome. As is typical when you get a bunch of co-workers together with drinks, we began discussing work. I ended up kind of boiling over and I went off on the unfair budgeting practices of my agency. I need to keep by cool if I'm going to stay here. Really, I need someone like Kim readily available that I can talk to but it's unfair to burden my co-workers, friends or family with this all of the time. Maybe I do need therapy.

No comments: