Saturday, January 10, 2009

one uncle to another


Last night, my uncle picked me up at the airport and, because the weather was so bad, I had to spend the night at his place. I like my family and everything but I've never really been close with my uncle. Plus this was the first time we've had a 1:1 chat since he's come out.

This particular uncle was never like the rest of my dad's brothers. He wasn't into sports, liked interior decorating and was much more comfortable in the kitchen with his mom than watching the game with the boys. I can relate so I've pretty much always suspected he's queer. I'm not sure that he knows I am though and I really didn't know how to approach it with him as we drove 3 hours to my folks house. It was weird. I felt some obligation to be a queer confidant to him since I didn't go his way, raising a family with a wife for 20 some years which proved to be self destructive. But instead we made light conversation, avoiding the elephant in the car which is what my family tends to do. Oh well, at least I feel a little more of a connection with him now, one gay uncle to another.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does he have an email address? Maybe you could make up for that missed opportunity in an easier format; writing.