Thursday, October 2, 2008

the story of the hurricanes


At work, I have to occasionally deal with violent participants. I had to deal with the aftermath of two different participants' behaviors at two different sites today. Violent outbursts are new for one of my participants so my new thing was taking a former supervisor of hers to see her and try to reason with her. The other one normally has outbursts but her behavior was a lot more severe this time. I was out of the office at the time handling the first participant. When I returned, it looked like people had just survived a hurricane. Some of the victims were angry, several were crying, others were receiving medical attention. Just another day at the office.

My boss was attentive to the situation but she's seen so much worse. When she used to be a supervisor, she would have to replace the group's refrigerator at least monthly because one participant or another would destroy it. She had one guy throw the copy machine out the window. She's had to go toe-to-toe with violent clients who could be line-backers. No wonder she's looking forward to eventual retirement.

No comments: