Wednesday, April 29, 2015

lost love in translation

Today, I had two meetings in which the primary people I was meeting with from whom I needed information did not speak English. In one of the meetings, I needed professional translation services to help them understand the complexities of divorce, custody, and the legal mumbo-jumbo. I barely understood what was in English so I can't imagine what it's like for them. Still, I feel like I got something accomplished and we're on a good path now. Go me.

However, the talk of the complications of divorce have really got me second-guessing marriage as a viable option. When marriage became legal in Oregon, I was thrilled that it was suddenly an option but I wasn't holding my breath for a marriage proposal. As I worked on the campaign and got signatures, Andrew stated that he agreed that everyone should have an equal right to debase their deepest affections by registering them with the government. We joked that he should write Hallmark cards.

Earlier this year, when I found out that I was going to have to pay over $1000 in state and federal taxes, Andrew asked if there's anything he could go. I jokingly stated that he could propose. Yes, I've dreamed of getting married but that was when I was a kid, watching Days of our Lives. Since then, I've become a lot more cynical and now look at marriage as a tool. It's not necessary for me to declare my love by registering it with the state but it would have it's benefits. One could access a lot of those benefits through individual legal means but marriage quickly gives you the right to all of it and also a tax break. But now I see how messy it can become if it doesn't go well so I'm not so sure.

What else?
I finished 100 Miles Sideways while flying back from Mexico on 4/22/15. However, now I am without a book to read and it's throwing me off. I read Unnatural Creatures by Neil Gaiman but only read some of the short stories. I highly recommend it as a vacation read though. I'm going to try Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle from the Mountain Goats. I got to say that having books on my Kindle has made them seem less substantial and therefore easier to dismiss.

No comments: