Wednesday, April 22, 2015

un resumen de mis vacaciones mexicano

I realize that I'm not going to get caught up anytime soon and I would just as soon be back up to speed so instead of writing a post for each day of vacation, I'm going to put it all in one. Here we go:

On our third full day of vacation, we went to Valladolid via bus. It took about three hours but it's nice to see another city in Mexico. Our hotel pictured above was nice and comfortable, even if there was something glitchy in the pool which allowed the light under water to give off a little current. We also went to a proper cantina with swinging doors and all. There was a very drunk guy there and it was full of machismo but it was fun.
On our fourth day, we went to Chichen Itza. In 1993 (I believe), Bo Brady unofficially married Carly Manning on the steps of the Castillo pictured above on Days of our Lives' Chichen Itza adventure. Since then, I've wanted to go here. It was touristy but I'm glad we did it, even if it did mean a four hour bus ride back to Puerto Morelos.

On our fifth day, I was sick. We went out for breakfast but I could barely leave the house afterwards. I went to my first Mexican pharmacy to get pills but I'm not sure they did any good. You just have to ride this out sometimes.
On our sixth day, I was determined to try to be better. I think I really just dehydrated myself in a temporary solution to stop fluids from needing to exit my body. It wasn't an ideal solution but it worked. I managed to spend all day under an umbrella on the beach with sun screen on and both of us still got burnt. It was the sun's reflection. I burnt my ankles. :( Still, I did enjoy some time bobbing around in the Caribbean!
On our seventh day, we hid from the sun in a cave underground. The cave was actually a cenote (Cenote de Siete Bocas). We only found five of the mouths but it was amazing. Bats were flying overhead when we first got there but they stopped after other people showed up. The water was naturally illuminated by all of the cave mouths. It was just awesome.
On the eighth day, we flew back. We took a cab to the airport. It was nicer than riding the bus and it was the same cabbie that took us to the cenote the day before so there was some comfort in the familiar. I have to say that I enjoyed the vacation a lot but it was also very taxing on my body and I don't know if I'll be heading back anytime soon. Being completely immersed in a different culture (our house was not in a touristy area) has given me a different perspective on things and I'm sure it will come up in future posts and ponderings.

No comments: