Saturday, February 7, 2015

buy the book

Last year, at the end of the year, I wanted to reflect on the year based upon the books that I finished. However, I couldn't recall all that I had read so this year, I've decided to keep better track. Today, I got up at 5:20am and read that last few chapters of the book The Shell Collector. It was written by Hugh Howey who wrote the Wool series which I really loved a year or so ago. I thought it seemed like it would be dystopian as well with the seas rising and marine life dying but, it was actually a romance novel set in the not-too-distant future. It wasn't bad tho. I just wasn't what I was expecting. I like his narration style which is critical in a book for me.

So that left me adrift (!) without a course or destination in mind so I took to wandering through Powells. I should know better than to go there so aimlessly. I think I spent two hours just browsing the shelves. After much deliberation and four different choices in hand, I settled on The Outlander by Gil Adamson. I hope it doesn't disappoint. It's not sci-fi fantasy with a funny narrator so it's not my usual bag but I've trying to expand my horizons.

My new thing was actually just having the vegan skillet at Bar Carlo which was really good. Also, Andrew's had a little bit of trouble coming up with a birthday gift idea for me. I've had his for a while but he told me over breakfast just to tell him what I want. It's not the most comfortable thing for me to do. I tend to think of myself as more independent than that. If I want something, I save up for it and buy it myself. However, I don't want this process to be uncomfortable for him so I said a Kindle. Price-wise, it's comparable to what I got him and I know that I'll use it. It would be nice to be able to store a number of electronic books right in a little tablet. But because I love the recommendations and the treasure hunt of it all, I'm sure will still go to Powells and the library on occasion.

No comments: