Wednesday, February 11, 2015

all the old places

I stopped blogging before I finished out my internship at the county but it was difficult to leave there. I really enjoyed the team I was on although I didn't feel as strong of a bond to them as I did with my previous internship. Still, I liked how they operated and I enjoyed the atmosphere of working in the county offices.

After I got hired at the brokerage, an older application I had submitted to the county came up and they called me for an interview. I wasn't too sure about it but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try. However, I found myself hoping that I wouldn't get the job. The pay was about 25% better, I wouldn't have had to own a car since the county has a motorpool and I would have been working in the same building as Ashes. Still, I didn't really want to do it. I like my current workplace and I would've felt bad quitting after only being employed for a few months.

Today, for work, we had a training at the county building. It will be a two day training so I'll be going back tomorrow. The weather is nice so I was able to bike in. I have to admit that I got nostalgic for my easy internship days and the ride downtown. I even got to take a break with Ashes which I missed doing. But, I still think I prefer the work I'm doing. It's not direct work either way and I enjoy the small business feel of the brokerage. Plus I get to do things like go to this training. 85% of the time, my job does not stress me out. I think that number in inverted at the county. It's really about a quality of life for me.

My new things were meeting the instructors, eating at Habibi for lunch (I love their spinach pie), and biking home under the new commuter bridge. I can't wait until the bridge is done, although I won't have a lot of excuses to use it as I don't bike downtown often anymore, which I'm okay with.

No comments: