Wednesday, January 28, 2015

muscle mimicry

A month or two after graduating from PSU, I lost my gym benefits. It sucked because I really enjoyed what the PSU gym had to offer (including their hot-tub with a great window view. I believe that I put off going to the gym for a bit and then I decided to check out my friend Jesse's gym. Jesse hadn't been going regularly either so I thought it would be mutually beneficial.

We go to Loprinzi's which is rather renowned. Jesse Ventura and Jack Lalane have lifted there. I've seen people bench 495 lbs there before, and the current deadlift champion works out there. It's a bit intense but not intimidating. I was nervous about going there initially even though I've been working out for years now. However, I was put at ease almost instantly. Bob, who runs the place, is very cool and friendly and so are most of the people that go there. It doesn't have as much equipment as the PSU gym but then there's less tourists there too. People just come to work out. Plus they have a cat. He's (mostly) an outside cat who comes into the gym every now and then and sleeps on the equipment or at the front desk. How can I not love a gym that has a cat?

Since going to this gym, I've been watching people's workouts and imitating what I think I can do and benefit from. Occasionally, it has resulted in injury but I've gotten pretty good at knowing my limits. Today, I decided to up my situp game by holding a 25lb weight while I do my inclined situps. It's funny how a little more weight can make a simple exercise challenging. And that's what I was looking for. I try to lift at least a little more or try a slightly new exercise every time I'm in the gym so that way I can say that I'm improving.

No comments: