Saturday, January 17, 2015

derailing the doggy daycare dream

For a while now, I've had a dream of opening up a doggy daycare. I've attached it to my MSW program by making the daycare a vocational training site for people with developmental disabilities. I love dogs and I love directly working with clients so it would be the best of both worlds. However, I've always thought that the one problem with it would be that I would have to run my own business which I'm not excited about. I'm a great worker but I don't think I could be the dude in charge. And it turns out that that's not the only problem. I don't think I could work with dogs all day.

Today, it was raining hard and I felt bad for Ava being inside all day and out only quickly (which she wasn't even excited about) so Andrew and I took her to Fido's Indoor Dog Park. It's a wonderful facility that has a pool and a good play area for the dogs. Ava wasn't big on the pool but the spaniel pictured above named Cedwick LOVED it and joined us on his own when he saw we were headed for the pool. Andrew was a dear and dried the poor soaked thing off after Ava decided she wouldn't swim. I think the chlorine bothered her. Plus she just hasn't had much experience swimming. The only other time was last summer when Victory, Ashes, Andrew, Ava and I all went to Oneanta and I think that was her first time swimming because it took her a while to get into it.

While Ava had fun and I had a blast, I don't know if I could do it all day every day. Dogs are awesome but they can be big goofs and I think I would grow weary of their barking, howling, humping, and power struggles. So I'm moving on.

It's good. It's a really good thing. Now I know, this isn't for me. As I take her back to Fido from time to time, I may grow to appreciate the work more. I may see some things that I would do differently and I may want to explore it as a business possibility down the road but for right now, I can appreciate the peace of my job.

What else?
We tried Foster Burger near us for the first time. I was collecting on a Yahtzee drink (yes, we've even made Yahtzee a drinking game) and had a Salted Caramel milkshake with rum mixed it. It was pretty much amazing! The food, particularly the fries, was really good too.

We also decided to stay in for the night because the rain was coming down so hard. We ended up watching the movie "Whiplash" which is up for best picture and it deserves it. Such an intense, beautifully edited, simple movie. 

No comments: