Tuesday, January 13, 2015

lessons in bureaucracy

I love my work. Well, I love my workplace anyway and I enjoy a good percentage of my clients. However, the job itself is full of a lot of paperwork and subject to the whims of state transmittals on Friday afternoons, dictating how procedures have changed in an almost random and senseless fashion. It's a lot different from Goodwill; not the random and senselessness, but the fact that I enjoy the place but not always the job. I just feel so removed from direct work. In a way, it's very easy but in another way, it's very bureaucratic.

Today, we had a training on a new computer system the state has been rolling out. Normally, my eyes would just gloss over during these trainings and I would wait for the summation to be emailed out by my awesome supervisor. But this time, I got it. I understood what was being done and exactly what was wrong with it. I called it out during the training and was immediately backed up by my directors cuz they're awesome too. And it turns out that the trainer is someone that was in my MSW program with me.  While I don't do the work I was envisioning when I graduated, at least I am not in her position. It seemed like she was comfortable doing it but it's so far removed from direct work that I couldn't imagine being happy with it. By comparison, my job is on-the-ground, in-the-field work and I'm happy with that.

The training was new but I also got to meet a provider for one of my customers (which is the term we use instead of clients). It's nice knowing that she's working with one of my guys and I make that possible by facilitating that relationship so I guess that's close enough to direct work for me.

No comments: