Tuesday, April 24, 2012

teaching the ice queen

I haven't written much about the worst boss I ever had but I've written a little. Anyway, about five and a half years ago, she made every day for me suck. I don't think she had it in for me specifically but she just had no people skills and hence, everyone hated her. However, I had to work directly under her as her assistant and she was the store manager. She was irrational, a perfectionist, too sensitive and a cut-throat. She yelled at a donation attendant for a while because he raised his eyebrows during a meeting. She yelled at me for two hours because I had let everyone come in 30 minutes early and leave 30 minutes early on Christmas Eve, I sent out a "Happy Holidays" from our store and I ordered donuts from Krispy Kreme instead of Winco. It was ridiculous.

Since quitting on her, I went through a transition period where I had to see her weekly but after a few months, she was transferred and I haven't seen her in years. Today, she was at a class I had to teach. I only had to teach the last hour of it but I swear I wanted to call in sick rather than be in the same room with her, even for an hour.

However, I stuck with it and taught the class with her sitting right in the front. I refused to make eye contact with her although she did ask questions so I had to address her then. And really, it wasn't that bad. Actually, I'm relieved. I think that the memory of her had manifested into this monstrous Ice Queen but really she's just a person with no people-skills and more than a touch of OCD. I still don't care for her but at least I faced down my demon.

What else?
In Andrew's absence, I've feeding his cat Maria and spending time with her. Yesterday was my first day at his place without him. It was odd. Today I took a quick cat-nap with her while I attempted to read an article for school.

Also, I cashiered with one of my clients for the first time today. I'm pretty proud that I have the first client in my company's history to work on a register!

No comments: