Wednesday, August 20, 2008

impacts


One of my friend's is fond of saying that I am actually making a difference in people's lives with my job. It's really nice to hear because, so often, I'm dealing with the same problems and the same behaviors and it seems like nothing is ever going to improve with my clients. And then their moments like today.

I had an annual meeting with a client whom I have just begun to work with. She's worked for my company for 40 years! Holy crap! When someone has been vocationally training for 40 years, you realize that you have hit a wall with them and that they are probably not going to learn any more. However, I got to sit down and have a productive meeting with her and her family this afternoon and go over how I can see her improving at work. She was resistant at first but then I found common ground (dogs) with her and she began listening to me. I could see progress and I'll be damned if I didn't see her actually smile which she doesn't do hardly at all. As an added bonus, her sister works in Salem at a different vocational rehabilitation facility and she seemed genuinely impressed with our meeting.

No comments: