Tuesday, July 8, 2008

a new day in three parts

I did three new and awesome things today! Here we go:

First, I LOVE Zipcar! For those who don’t know, Zipcar is a shared-vehicle program in several metropolitan cities, including Portland (YAY!). I signed up for it after I bought my scooter last year. The idea was that I would sell my car, primarily use my scooter and then use the Flexcar (which it was called at the time) when the scooter wouldn’t cut it. However, I kept the pink Lincoln, using it only sparingly and never really NEEDED the shared vehicle. Then Flexcar became Zipcar and I didn’t bother changing over my info.

Before I headed back to Nebraska, I started to become interested in the Zipcars again, mostly because one was parked close to my house. So I started the process to update my membership and successfully gained $25 in credit in the process. A Zipcar membership costs $50. To take a car out, you pay $9/hour or $66/day. Some select cars are more but this is the rate for the majority of them. The part that sold me on using it today was YOU DON’T PAY FOR GAS!!! Each Zipcar comes with a gas card. If you do any repairs on the car or add oil, Zipcar will reimburse you! It sounded fracking sweet to me so I drove a new Scion Zipcar instead of my Lincoln to get me and my scooter’s exhaust pipe downtown.

That brings me to my second thing. I had a screw loose (ha ha) on my scooter a while back and it ended up staring to crack my exhaust pipe. My scooter mechanic suggested I take it to get it welded back together. Fortunately, Riot Cop Alex is a welder. He was able to do a top-notch job. Afterwards, we recorded some background audio for the new Riot Cop album.

Finally, I had to put my scooter back together again. Not being very mechanically inclined, I was a little worried about this part but it wasn’t so bad. I just redid what my roommate undid on it yesterday. Simple as pie but it was fun getting it all done.

No comments: