Thursday, July 10, 2008

i am the gate (up)keeper


When we moved into our house, our awesome landlord installed an inside gate to keep Dean from attacking the meter reader. However, gravity, shoddy workmanship and the rain have took their toll on the gate and the two boards ended up falling off, making a doggy door and defeating the purpose of the whole thing. Later on, the whole gate just fell off.

Since I was home alone this week, I decided to take this on and get it back up. The gate leaned slightly and didn't quite fit in their right. Plus, it was built with nails instead of screws. I took it apart, shaved off 1/4-1/2 inch, reassembled it, realigned the latch and put it back up. This process was greatly hindered by the fact that my roomies' tools are everywhere and they weren't around to ask where things are hiding. I would find one electric drill with a battery but no drill bit. Then I would find another drill and bit but no battery. Finally, I was able to put it all together. I had a great feeling of satisfaction when I cleared the weed out from underneath the gateway and a breeze casually blew the gate open.

No comments: