Tuesday, July 1, 2008

dining with my elders

Being a good grandson, I went out to lunch with my grandmas this afternoon at a fabulous cafe, Elyria Gardens, a gem in this town of less than 100 people. Everyone says that you should get to know your elders while they are around. I try to do this but it's difficult. It's hard to sit down and have an honest conversation with them while not letting them know about one of the biggest aspects of my life, that I'm gay.

Therefore, I keep a distance. I keep everything on the superficial and try not to get too personal. Primarily, I wanted to keep my Grandma P from pestering me about why I don't have a girlfriend. Luckily, she didn't do that this time because I think I just would've come out and told her that isn't going to happen. But it didn't come to that. So we talked about the weather and work and dogs. It's frustrating but I understand that maybe they wouldn't understand. Until I'm in an involved relationship where I can't help but talk about my man, it's not really necessary that they know.

No comments: