Thursday, September 8, 2011

buffy the hamburger slayer

Andrew and I went to Hamburger Mary's for the first time for each of us today. It was fabulous. I guess it's sort of a chain but very limited in the number of restaurants they have around the country. I've heard that all of the staff is drag queens which isn't true but I'd venture a guess that all of the staff tonight was gay. The idea of a gay restaurant chain is pretty awesome to me too. It's a fabulous place and I'd love to hit another city and find out they had a Hamburger Mary's too.

For food, it was pretty meat-centric but they have a homemade black bean patty which is huge and a vegan patty as options. Also, their toppings are what make each burger unique and can be done vegetarian for the most part. I had the black bean burger with the Buffy the Hamburger Slayer options which included red wine sauce, garlic cloves, swiss cheese and caesar dressing. It was wonderful and so was my sparkling cosmo! The atmosphere was fun and gay and there was a drag queen there calling out bingo numbers as a fund-raiser for the Oregon Humane Society (as if I didn't already love the place enough)! I'm shocked it took me this long to come here considering it's downtown. I plan to come back when they have Mary-O-ke because a gay restaurant that serves a Buffy burger AND has karaoke simply cannot be missed!

No comments: