Monday, September 5, 2011

bike the butte & the bridge

Today's and yesterday's new things are similar enough that I figured I can put them into one post. My new thing was getting on my bike and just riding.

Yesterday, I was waiting at the Long Haus for a BBQ and then I just got an itch and couldn't wait anymore. Instead I got on my bike and rode to Powell Butte for the first time. It's right off of the Springwater Corridor so it kind of just happened that I rode there. I was really just riding the corridor just to ride. It's Labor Day weekend after all. I should be able to do silly things just for the fun of it.

Today, I was having a drink or two with friends at 442 and I got the itch again. It was almost painful to just sit around on a beautiful day off like today so I again got on my bike and rode. I ended up heading downtown this time with the intention of heading to Forest Park. Instead, I meandered until I found myself on St Helen's Road, heading towards the St Johns Bridge. The ramp up to the bridge wasn't a wide lane so I went on the sidewalk instead, lost control slightly and ended up scraping against the rough wall along the sidewalk. Fortunately, my glove and my handlebar took most of it but I did scrape up my pinkie and my arm pretty good. It stings but it looks tough. The view from the top of the bridge was pretty but the injury hindered my enjoyment of the ride.

What else?
I took Dean to the Rocking Frog for the first time. I've been here in it's previous incarnations but never with Dean although Dean did just come here on Saturday with Sophia and Tim. I had work to do and I wanted to do it outside with Dean while drinking coffee somewhere that had good wireless. Rocking Frog's back porch fit the bill. I will be back!

No comments: