Friday, November 13, 2015

the mullet

We had our annual work party tonight which was at a new location for me, Hotel Monaco, and I had to be a panelist for the Match game that we did. I've watched enough Snatch Game on RuPaul's Drag Race so I felt that I could easily do it. There was also an awards ceremony before where every employee was given some award for something. I won the Mullet Award.

The Mullet Award wasn't actually for having a pitiful hairstyle. The mullet is symbolic of a person who is professional at work but cuts loose at home (business in the front, party in the back). It was a silly name but an accurate portrayal of how I conduct myself. I use a pseudonym which was originally intended to separate my legal name from my activist work but now I use it more to separate the personal from the professional. I'm not friends with any of my co-workers on Facebook. I have them as friends on my Instagram (which has come back to bite me in the ass) but I use the name Tophurious (my third pseudonym) because it's a public account.

Aside from just names, I also keep a distinguished line between the personal and the professional in my actions. I have only gone to one party with co-workers that wasn't work related and I have only met with my co-workers (my bosses actually) once outside of any work or party function. I like this job and I've found that when you talk to people outside of the office, you find out things that change your view and make you take off the rose-colored glasses. People might be frank in the office but they can be bitterly honest out at the bar. And I want to keep liking my job and my co-workers. That's why I maintain a metaphorical mullet.

What else?
I'm sick. Yesterday, my new thing was having the jasmine/chamomile tea at Fat Straw. 

No comments: