Sunday, June 7, 2015

nerd cred

Today, my new thing was meeting some of my teammates for next months's Geek Olympathon. Again, if it wasn't for this blog and my vow to try new things, I'm not sure I would be doing this but it does sound like fun. Basically, there are several events around town (rumor is 32 separate events) that you and your team of 5 try to take part in and win. We don't know what the events will be but in the past, they've ranged from Pinball competitions to rolled-up-sock corn-holing to beer and potato chip taste testing. And we're supposed to do it in costume. I love an excuse to dress in costume so that was the first hook for me.

Anyway, the people that I met today were nice and I'm looking forward to doing this with them and my friends. Hopefully, it'll all just be good, silly fun. In talking with them though, I began to doubt my nerd credibility. I can't speak a lot of the lingo and I roll my eyes at extreme nerdiness. Like, there's a line I've got to draw. Of course, that line gets pushed back and blurrier all of the time. Initially, I was thinking that it would be full of trivia like naming the engine capabilities on the x-wing or some shit like that but I've heard that the trivia portion is just looking for people to have general knowledge in a wide variety of genre which is cool cux that's what I got, unless you're talking Buffy trivia because then, I'd slay.

No comments: