Sunday, May 3, 2015

new approaches to old stomping grounds

When I lived at Long Haus, I would occasionally walk Dean to Woodstock Park via Reed College. This was before his legs started to bother him and he could go the distance. It was a completely different experience with him because we would approach the park through a different street and Dean would only express a slight interest in the other dogs. It was really just another place for him to walk off leash. It's not fenced in but Dean was so mindful that I never really worried about that.

On the other hand, there's Ava. This was the first time we've walked to Woodstock Park since moving into FoPo and I'll admit that I almost passed it by. It's been so long since I've been there but it was also a different approach to it so it looked all shiny and new. Plus I had to consider Ava's needs. She doesn't mind so well so I couldn't let her just wander about with the street being just beyond the bushes. Also, there weren't a lot of dogs there so she didn't want to stay very long.

Yesterday, the movie we saw was called Ex-Machina. Without giving away too much, it's about an android who is supposed to be the first true artificial intelligence (AI that can pass for human) and it's in the form of a woman. There are control issues with the AI though and the creator has to tell her to stand down and ends up yelling her name. Her name is Ava so Andrew and I got a good laugh out of that. Our Ava is deceptively intelligent too and is the strong female presence in a house with two guys so the similarities weren't all that far-fetched. One day, she will probably reveal her true intentions and she will be in control without any pretenses of being "a pet."

No comments: