Tuesday, March 10, 2015

partnership

A nice thing about having taken two years off blogging is that I have a stock of photos that I can use for illustration (like the one above taken during the 2013 Tweed Ride) and that I have a stock of sentiments that I can write about when my day isn't really blog-worthy.

A few months ago, Sophia and her man stated that they heard recently that a key element to success in a romantic partnership is believing that you two are a better partnership than anyone else. I've known some very successful couples but I would say that Andrew and I are right up there.

Really, I never thought that I would have this would happen to me, that I would find someone that I could trust so easily, be so comfortable around, depend on, and enjoy so much. Sure, we've had our moments but I always view those as opportunities to grow. I think the important thing is that we compliment each other well. We fit, you know? We had a lot of similarities like our belief that dogs are superior creatures, our appreciation for a good mixed drink, our desire to ride bikes as much as possible, our general disdain for society as a whole, and we're even (almost) the same clothing size. Today, we were wearing each others' clothes. I know some opposite-sex couples who do that from time to time but our wardrobe is basically one.

We also have our differences which work well together. This weekend, Andrew spent a lot of time gardening in preparation for our backyard party on Sunday. I spent most of the time cleaning the inside of the house and taking Ava for long walks. Andrew teaches me about poetry (seriously, I have been able to randomly find lines from poets that I hadn't heard of and he can identify the author and the poem) and I school him on Simpsons references. It works, you know. And I'm happy. I think he's happy. And Maria and Ava are happy so we're all good.

My new thing today was using a line that he taught me as I met a new person today. We had an OSPRIG solicitor come to the door. I have a hard time saying no to people in general but Andrew aided me by giving me a simple excuse to get out of giving: "I'd love to donate but I have an agreement with my partner to review any contributions with him so if you'd leave me some literature and contact info, I'll discuss it with him." Boom. Done. Problem solved.

No comments: