Monday, September 1, 2008

wating for the mountain


Today, my dad wanted to see Mt Hood. I figured the best way to do that was to climb up the base. I drove to Timberline (without a guide for the first time) and my dad and I hiked around the trails behind the lodge. I've been to Timberline a few times but never really for hiking purposes. We usually just go to the lodge for some hot cocoa and then head back down the mountain.

I felt bad for a while because there was pretty consistent cloud cover and my dad seemed legitimately disappointed that there wasn't a good view of Mt Hood. We hiked up for a bit, although it was a steep incline in high elevation, and we waited. We sat down and talked about mountains we climbed in Colorado when I was young. Eventually, blue sky appeared for a while, long enough for us to get a picture of the mountain at least. It looked like it was close by and it was tempting to keep going. However, that would have taken a long while and a lot of energy and we were just grateful for the view we were given.

No comments: