Friday, September 26, 2008

mocktail hour


After my friend Shawn moved out of Nebraska for Minneapolis, he came back for a visit and remarked how everybody just seemed so awesome and he just wanted to run up and meet everybody. When I initially moved to Portland, I was overwhelmed by the same sensation. Suddenly, I wasn't alone. There were other people who thought the way I did, did things I liked and found their home in Portland.

There's a campaign in Portland that's been active for some time, "Keep Portland Weird." I don't know if I could survive here if it wasn't so weird. Well, I guess I could survive but I wouldn't want to.

Today, on my bike ride home, I ran into a stand where bike activists were handing out mocktails to cyclists. This didn't strike me as odd or anything. I absolutely love seeing this type of activity but I've also become accustomed to it. And that's a good thing. I wasn't going to stop because I was in a rush but I got stopped behind a light anyway so I decided to indulge in a virgin strawberry margarita. While I was stopped (maybe five minutes) I saw no less than 40 cyclists come by. I love that. I love that weird is normal. I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: