Thursday, July 30, 2015

an eight-year-old's life goals

In the 2000 movie, The Kid, Bruce Willis somehow interacts with his eight year old self. I don't think I ever saw the whole movie but I remember seeing the previews at the video store I worked at and the kid gets upset with his adult self, appalled that he's a grown-up and he doesn't have a dog?!? That line and that idea has obviously sat with me for a bit. In the back of my head every now and then, I think, 'Would my eight year old self be proud of who I am?'

I realize there's a flaw in trying to constantly live up to your aspirations from when you were eight. Most eight-year-olds do not have realistic expectations of adulthood and developing your life based upon your eight-year-old self's dreams would most likely make for an emotionally stunted development. However, there's a certain charm in realizing that your eight-year-old self would see where you're at right now and say, "Heck yeah" (cuz as an eight-year-old, I wasn't about to say "Hell").

While I was at lunch today during my job, I stopped and assessed my current situation. I was wearing my Aquaman t-shirt and shorts, at lunch with my dog, eating pasta (at 24th and Meatballs for the 1st time), and reading comic books, so yeah, I think my eight-year-old self would have approved. Now, if I could just become independently wealthy and a superhero that fights crime, I will have fulfilled the dream.

*the pic isn't mine. i just thought it was cute. if it's yours and you would like me to take it down, feel free to leave a comment.

No comments: