Thursday, December 10, 2015

i coulda been an engineer

When I started my job almost two years ago, I went for a home visit with one of my supervisors and he had a phone holder attached to his windshield as pictured above. It's a simple fix and I'm sure it's been around for a while but I went over a year without having a car so I never had one. When I got my last car, I got one of these things and it's been great. However, if you stop or accelerate suddenly, the phone flies out of the holder.

While I was heading to a customer's house in Washington County a few weeks ago, I set my work phone to give me audio directions in addition to the visual map. I was listening to music over the radio through my personal cell but I had the work phone up loud enough to hear the directions. I hit the brake early on in the trip and my phone went flying out to the holder and in between my seat and the console. My seats in this car are big and the spaces are small so I couldn't get to the phone. However, I would still hear "In 200 feet, turn left" shouted out from under my seat.

A few days later, my personal phone flew out of it, hit my cup holder, and scratched the screen. At that point, I had had enough. I came up with the solution above a few months ago and just never acted on it. I even have had thumbtacks at work but keep forgetting to take them out to my car. Well, today for some reason, I thought of it and it worked! Occasionally, I come up with some simple and satisfying solutions, even if it does take me months to act upon them.

No comments: